Introduce yourself

[quote=“grinninberit”]
gutted i missed chimera…i expect that would have been the perfect place to get my first taste of the larping universe. ah well. i’m thinking of perhaps crewing for teonn, does that seem like a decent place for a noob to jump in?[/quote]

Welcome Berit!

Crewing is an excellent intro to larping. You get a bit more coaching, get an “insider” view of the rules and game system, see a bit of the background and also get a perspective of what the players are doing by both observing and interacting with you.

Also, we’re looking at organising a last minute beat up type larp on Halloween down here in Hamilton… pretty basic stuff but it’d be a good intro to live combat and some larping basics.

Hi grinninberit and welcome to the NZ LARPing scene from a fellow partially Minnesotan. I lived there for the first 9 years of my life, moved to Auckland 14 years ago.

Hey there jamec, and welcome to the wonderful world of LARP.

How did you discover our little corner of the web?

He’s a spambot. Check out (or rather don’t) the link in his sig. :stuck_out_tongue:

I had wondered, principally due to the generic nature of the message, but I pretty much auto-ignore such random sounding links in peoples’ signatures … and hey - they could have just been a n00b with really poor communication skills.

So I guess I better say hi.

Hi!

My real name is Matt Swain, and I used to own Nexus Games in Dunedin until it closed in 2008 :frowning: I came across this site pretty much by accident - didn’t know it was around until IdiotSavant posted a link to my blog about a Vampire LARP I’m starting and someone else (I’m assuming Anna K) followed it. Diatribe came up as the site previous to mine on my reports :slight_smile:

I’ve been LARPing for about 5 years, roleplaying for about 20. Strangely enough have only ever played in Vampire LARPs and the (very) occasional one-off at an OURS tournament.

So that’s me :slight_smile:

Viperion

Welcome to Diatribe mate!

Always interesting to have people arrive who haven’t even heard of the forum before. Makes me think there must be a whole lot of larp going on out there in NZ that we don’t know about… and we know about a lot already, so that’s very cool.

G’day Viperion, nice to have you on board.

What is OURS?

Otago University Roleplaying Society, sadly a shadow of what it was in the mid-90s :frowning:

Viperion

Hopefully to be a little more active next year! I’ve got a whole pile of one-off rpgs I’m hoping to run (mostly one’s that have been run at past America’s Cups and BattleCrys, with permission of the GMs/writers of course).

[quote=“Jared”][quote=“grinninberit”]
gutted i missed chimera…i expect that would have been the perfect place to get my first taste of the larping universe. ah well. i’m thinking of perhaps crewing for teonn, does that seem like a decent place for a noob to jump in?[/quote]

Welcome Berit!

Crewing is an excellent intro to larping. You get a bit more coaching, get an “insider” view of the rules and game system, see a bit of the background and also get a perspective of what the players are doing by both observing and interacting with you.

Also, we’re looking at organising a last minute beat up type larp on Halloween down here in Hamilton… pretty basic stuff but it’d be a good intro to live combat and some larping basics.[/quote]

thanks for the kind invite! didn’t see it until just now…stupid gmail sent the notification of reply to my spam. argh argh argh.

unfortunately i’ve also realized that teonn is over american thanksgiving weekend, so my first larp will sadly have to be postponed. :cry:

also, holla minerva! always nice to get in touch with other minnesotans. :smiley:

Hi Grinninberit. I can relate to the Thanksgiving dilemma. We have our Americano nephew staying with us, so I’m going to putting on a Thanksgiving Dinner, complete with spitroast turkey the day before Teonn. It’s going to be a busy weekend :slight_smile:

'Allo!

My Name is Simeon, the following things I am not, Sane and Female. Apart from that, I got introduced here by Robza whom I know from UNI. I claim to be British and still have some of the accent apart from living in NZ for all but one of my 21 years. My introduction to DnD was this year with some other friends and subsequently I found that I tend to the “Sneaky Prick” roles, in any kind of game. The GTFO roles too…

I look forward to meeting some of you at Teonn this weekend which I am crewing at.

Welcome aboard Simeon. See you in game!

Well hey there.

Name is Jack. Jack of all trades, Jack ‘Shilling’, or just Jack. If you know me well you’ll know Jack is short for something, but i wouldn’t worry yourself to much over that.
It’s nice to meet you all. And I have actually meet some of you already, from ZombieLarp and for a short stint in the crew at Teonn.
I suppose I’m here cause I’m interested in becoming your newest member; if the people allow it :smiley:
So here goes for the introduction.
If you haven’t seen me, I’m a tall thin lad, all knees and elbows, with the usual mat of unkempt dark brown hair that so many of my generation default to. My eyes are grey-blue, with a spark of yellow, that you’ll never notice, unless your uncomfortably close. If your lucky I’ll have donned my SWAT hat which has become one of my more familiar identities, but i fear my cap won’t suit many of the futures adventures I hope to get into.
I’m an Aucklander born, bred and tamed. At this point I wonder if some of the members sigh, ‘there’s another for Jaffatown’, maybe i can travel a bit to help out with other regions Larps.
For the last four years I’ve been battling with UoA to get a Bachelor of Science majoring in Computer Science, and by the luck of Momo* I will have acquired it at the completion of this year.
Having cast my line into the world of full time work, it is immediately apparent I will need to have something to keep my imagination and creative side alive. My current occupation, for a fortnight or two more, is front desk reception at Rendezvous Hotel Auckland, the future holds a place at a high school in a data entry and reception role. Not the most mentally challenging roles (Please no offense meant to any receptionists, as they are the backbone that holds up administration), so need to keep the mind alive.
Hmm, what else is there… I like rainy days, long walks in bare feet, being sneaky and doing the most spontaneous act i can at the most ridiculous (but appropriate) time available.

So here I am, for your hands to guide and mold.
I’m a little introverted to begin with, but trying to overcome that, just say hi, and I’ll try my darnedest to remember names.
I’ve begun the intimidating quest to read all the posts i can, and have greatly enjoyed the Larping Ive had the fortunate opportunity to partake in. I’m ready to put in some hard yards with crew to help out with storyline creation and atmosphere, and will try not to be PC’d by accident.
Also look forward to character creation and finding out how to develop from there on.
Here to help, support, dance^, learn and have fun.

Hope I’ll see you at the next event.

~Jack.

*Momo -Avatar Last Airbender, quietly the creator and Lord of all… you dont see it? Just look in those all knowing eyes. All hail Momo!
^flail armed dramatically

P.S. Mite King… umm, hard to explain, all his adventures and quotes haven’t technically happened yet, but maybe I can personify him in the near future. Peace out.

Welcome Jack, the Mite King. Theres nothing more critical to larp than newbies. We all start as one. If you want help/advice/borrow stuff/join games then you’re on the right track… and here, as in larp, do not be afraid to ask. No one bites. Well, unless the teeth are larp-safe.

Hadn’t seen this thread earlier but,

Im Mandos, been tabletop roleplaying for decades, mostly DQ, and tried LARP many years (~16 I think) ago back when it really was in its infancy.

I played in the Teonn after being invited by Hannah and had a great time and now I am looking to get involved in a few more LARPS and improve my costuming.

Outside of LARP I boss people round for a technology firm and practise sarcasm as an artform.

Welcome Mandos. To be honest I thought you were an old larp hand when I met you at Teonn, which says to me that you’ve already started to fit in already. You transformed into a convincing squire for Marcus, so it’ll be good to see that interaction grow in the future.

Welcome to the community, Jack and Mandos! Just make yourselves at home, don’t feel shy about asking lots of questions or jumping in to get involved. Most organisers in the community be falling over themselves to get you to their game :smiley:

Jack, there’s loads of events in the calendar, don’t feel like you have to crew for all of them, it’s all good to split your time between PCing and NPCing :slight_smile: (PCs are really necessary to larps too!)