Wicked Replicas

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with Wicked Replicas? They make a particular LARP weapon that I’m looking at purchasing.

Cheers,

Jon

Little bit of thread-nomancy.

I’m not really in the market right now for more props or weapons, but see that various sites in Australia sell Battle Legends larp weapons from Wicked replica’s. In some cases ridiculously cheap which inherently makes me suspicious about their quality and safety (e.g http://www.globalgear.com.au/weapons/LARP-weapons/larp-samurai-katana). Has anyone got any experience with these guys? the internet is also suspiciously quiet as to any product reviews.

And answered my own question (http://scrolls.larpcraft.com/index.php?threads/wicked-replicas.5533/).
Really should do a little more research before putting out an open question. Sigh.

Hi Nick,

Yeah, I did end up getting the weapon from Wicked Replicas - the warhammer I’m using in Crucible. I would tend to agree with the comments you link to. The weapon looks fricking awesome, and the price was very reasonable (~$150 including shipping). There are a few imprefections (likely caused by bubbles in the latex), which I figure is what you get when it’s something from a mould. It’s incredibly unweildy, though - much more suited as a replica than a LARP weapon.

There are pictures of it from the Sachsenheim day game on Facebook.
Jess holding it:
facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f … =3&theater

Me holding it:

Resting on my shoulder:

Jon

On the bright side, from the comments it looks like they’re taking concerns into account and looking at softer foam versions, even if they can’t do much about the striking surfaces being to narrow. A softer foam would make them more likely to be usable.

For me the main questions relate to durability and safety. With irregular trips to Aus each year postage to a hotel would be a cheap means of getting something a novice could learn to use safely from scratch. But not if safety is an issue. Which it certainly seems to be from the above comments.

Just an interesting update on this, it looks like Wicked Replicas have indeed changed their weapon density and cutting blade thickness in order to make them safer for a wider range of LARPS. A full discussion from the Aussie larpers is visible here:
http://scrolls.larpcraft.com/index.php?threads/wicked-replica-gen-2-weapons.9145/

Their summary is:
Although the EA (Epic Armoury) weaponry is softer and has a more fantasy appearance, the WR (Wicked Replica) swords are more durable with a denser foam and have a more realistic appearance. The result of the denser foam in the WR blades is that you are more aware of them hitting, this is not an issue if armour or thick clothing (winter garb) is worn but the wielder will need to be more aware of the strength behind their blows during summer. I have played with both Gen II and Gen I WR weapons and the Gen I is a definative NO USE policy, bones will break before weapons do. Gen II weapons are not as dangerous, they will still bruise if the wielder doesn’t pay attention but they are about the same as using offers (PVC pipe in a pool noodle covered in duct tape for those unfamiliar with the term).
The WR flex isn’t as great as the EA weapons, bit they still flex. The core can be felt in both WR and EA and both have a thrust safe tip on them.
Personally, I am willing to allow WR in my colony as it is readily accessible, very affordable and safe to use. Just like all weapon fighting blows will have to be landed softly and safely, no matter the weapon company any foam weapon is a hazard if used recklessly.