Questions - Props, Ammo, Explosives

I have a few questions, and some things to discuss.

Ammo
Do you need to have a gun to have the 20 Ammo. I’m sure there are characters out there with no ranged, possibly Wanderers with no gun. I can see how a Wanderer with no gun might not get the ammo, but for others with no gun can they still have ammo. Mostly because it is a currency of sorts, something that can be bartered. And those with no gun could still trade ammo for protection or whatever. Just wondering.

Demolitions & Explosives
I’m not really sure what you are thinking of with this skill and what it applies to. I get the feeling that setting and potentially disarming bombs (though Tech and/or repair and/or demo expert might be needed for that). So I figured things like plastic explosives, dynamite, mines are all about right. What about grenades? If we have grenades will they have use in combat (don’t care if they don’t just asking). If so do grenades have a limit too, and is that just part of the ammo limit.

Larp grenades tend to be sacks you throw at people. If you hit they get an effect. It feels too complicated for this game. Or at least it feels overly complicated for sessions that aren’t designed around a combat scenario.

That said I have a pretty cool prop for grenades, not one that you would throw at people though. I was imagining more arming it and rolling it on the ground. Might work better as a gas or something. But I wanted to discuss it before I got carried away with explosive props.

Medpacks
So I was thinking about trying to get some smallish flat cans or something, maybe 8 cm diameter or something and putting a red cross on them. But I was kind of wondering what we really needed in a medpack. They heal 3 without the need of someone with First Aid. It’s like slapping omnigel on a lock and it opening. I actually have no problem with this, it so computer game it’s awesome. Doctors make them, soldiers use them. I was mostly just thinking about the representation of them. Anyone else have any ideas on this.

I guess the important thing is that you can only really have gear on you that you can carry, so the size of a medpack matters. If it’s small then you can have a lot, and if it is big then you might only be able to carry 1 or 2. Given that unlike ammo medpacks aren’t limited by the GM, their limitation is the number you can carry. Thoughts.

Those without guns still should have ammo in my opinion. Then you can trade ammo for services to those of us with guns who need ammo.

Yeah that was my thinking. I mean I kind of expect most people to actually have a gun but not that everyone could shoot them.

Yeah that was my thinking. I mean I kind of expect most people to actually have a gun but not that everyone could shoot them.[/quote]

…or would want to shoot them. I suspect that there would well be people who may not know how or want to use guns, but are well aware of the value of one to the right person. Ammo might be worth a lot, but what about ammo and a gun to go with it…?

[quote=“Jarratt”]I have a few questions, and some things to discuss.

Ammo
Do you need to have a gun to have the 20 Ammo. I’m sure there are characters out there with no ranged, possibly Wanderers with no gun. I can see how a Wanderer with no gun might not get the ammo, but for others with no gun can they still have ammo. Mostly because it is a currency of sorts, something that can be bartered. And those with no gun could still trade ammo for protection or whatever. Just wondering. [/quote]

The ammo limit assumes that you have a firearm/s to us it with. If you don’t have a gun then I’m happy for it to be carried as a trade item. Limits apply.

[quote=“Jarratt”]
Demolitions & Explosives
I’m not really sure what you are thinking of with this skill and what it applies to. I get the feeling that setting and potentially disarming bombs (though Tech and/or repair and/or demo expert might be needed for that). So I figured things like plastic explosives, dynamite, mines are all about right. What about grenades? If we have grenades will they have use in combat (don’t care if they don’t just asking). If so do grenades have a limit too, and is that just part of the ammo limit.

Larp grenades tend to be sacks you throw at people. If you hit they get an effect. It feels too complicated for this game. Or at least it feels overly complicated for sessions that aren’t designed around a combat scenario.

That said I have a pretty cool prop for grenades, not one that you would throw at people though. I was imagining more arming it and rolling it on the ground. Might work better as a gas or something. But I wanted to discuss it before I got carried away with explosive props.[/quote]

Demolitions and explosives are mainly meant as a large scale thing, rather to be used in combat. There are issues with grenades for example as they are a ranged effect, but making that ranged effect work is very hard. I’m having a think about gas grenades and will post my final thoughts on it.

[quote=“Jarratt”]
Medpacks
So I was thinking about trying to get some smallish flat cans or something, maybe 8 cm diameter or something and putting a red cross on them. But I was kind of wondering what we really needed in a medpack. They heal 3 without the need of someone with First Aid. It’s like slapping omnigel on a lock and it opening. I actually have no problem with this, it so computer game it’s awesome. Doctors make them, soldiers use them. I was mostly just thinking about the representation of them. Anyone else have any ideas on this.

I guess the important thing is that you can only really have gear on you that you can carry, so the size of a medpack matters. If it’s small then you can have a lot, and if it is big then you might only be able to carry 1 or 2. Given that unlike ammo medpacks aren’t limited by the GM, their limitation is the number you can carry. Thoughts.[/quote]

Med packs are a single dose chemical with a cocktail of drugs to make you feel better and keep you going. They can only be made in a medical lab with high tech. They are very rare. Think of a hypo-spray type delivery system.

[quote=“sophmelc”]
Med packs are a single dose chemical with a cocktail of drugs to make you feel better and keep you going. They can only be made in a medical lab with high tech. They are very rare. Think of a hypo-spray type delivery system.[/quote]

So I noted down that I started with some Medpacks in my character sheet, but given that you want them to be rare is that fair. I mean I can see how my character may have gotten some, but I think it is fair to ask. I know you said you were only limiting the ammo at this stage so I kind of want to check. They do seem like a good thing to have around for the trading system like ammo and like ammo they are consumable so the doctors will end up having value (assuming they can find somewhere to make them). And like ammo their value is mostly based on actually getting into fights.

So a further question, they help you fight on, but at the end of a battle you probably still really need injuries treated right?

And as a prop do you think a Lynx Can painted white (maybe with a red cross on it) would be around the right size. Smaller?

[quote=“Jarratt”]

And as a prop do you think a Lynx Can painted white (maybe with a red cross on it) would be around the right size. Smaller?[/quote]

I was gonna go with whipped cream… (more fun can be had with whipped cream)

[quote=“Jarratt”][quote=“sophmelc”]
Med packs are a single dose chemical with a cocktail of drugs to make you feel better and keep you going. They can only be made in a medical lab with high tech. They are very rare. Think of a hypo-spray type delivery system.[/quote]

So I noted down that I started with some Medpacks in my character sheet, but given that you want them to be rare is that fair. I mean I can see how my character may have gotten some, but I think it is fair to ask. I know you said you were only limiting the ammo at this stage so I kind of want to check. They do seem like a good thing to have around for the trading system like ammo and like ammo they are consumable so the doctors will end up having value (assuming they can find somewhere to make them). And like ammo their value is mostly based on actually getting into fights.

So a further question, they help you fight on, but at the end of a battle you probably still really need injuries treated right?

And as a prop do you think a Lynx Can painted white (maybe with a red cross on it) would be around the right size. Smaller?[/quote]

I’m not limiting the numbers. I have no problems with you having a few medpacks. Considering your character and background it makes sense to me. Others may have had their possession of a medpack questioned.

In terms of phys repping one, an old inhaler painted would work well or something similar. They are a one use thing and they heal you up. Amazing things those med packs…

So to clarify, the surgeon skill doesn’t have a tech requirement and says can make medpacs. Does this mean you now need both tech and surgeon? I was envisaging a medpac to be bandages, syringes and pain killers. If its more high tech, can we reflect in the next rule iteration? I had presumed the clinic had resources to make them, but the tech restriction would limit that.
Should say am happy to go this route, had just been planning things which I will need to adapt.

[quote=“sophmelc”]
I’m not limiting the numbers. I have no problems with you having a few medpacks. Considering your character and background it makes sense to me. Others may have had their possession of a medpack questioned.

In terms of phys repping one, an old inhaler painted would work well or something similar. They are a one use thing and they heal you up. Amazing things those med packs…[/quote]

Thanks for the clarifications Sophie. They do seem like amazing things.

I’m sure I can find a suitable representation for them.

I don’t think you need Tech to make them at all, but you need a high tech item. Does one exist in Crosspire? If one doesn’t can people build one?

It’s kind of like building ammo, you need the relevant skill Gunsmith or Doctor/Surgeon, plus the specific bench and in the case of both probably some specific items, which in the case of Medpacks might be rare.

That’s a basic first aid kit or doctors kit, which you would need to do First Aid. If you have that and the First Aid, Doctor, Surgeon skills you can heal without the use of a Medpac. A more advanced First Aid kit might be needed for bigger injuries, and you might need a clinic for major surgery.

I don’t think you need Tech to make them at all, but you need a high tech item. Does one exist in Crosspire? If one doesn’t can people build one?

It’s kind of like building ammo, you need the relevant skill Gunsmith or Doctor/Surgeon, plus the specific bench and in the case of both probably some specific items, which in the case of Medpacks might be rare.

That’s a basic first aid kit or doctors kit, which you would need to do First Aid. If you have that and the First Aid, Doctor, Surgeon skills you can heal without the use of a Medpac. A more advanced First Aid kit might be needed for bigger injuries, and you might need a clinic for major surgery.[/quote]

Yes, this is it exactly.

Cool, let me know off line if we have the requisite tech in the town :slight_smile:

As a prop does somebody have a use for this rather spiffy item? I don’t see how one can say no, really, it’s the head of a teddy bear on a stick.

[quote=“housemonkey”]As a prop does somebody have a use for this rather spiffy item? I don’t see how one can say no, really, it’s the head of a teddy bear on a stick.
[/quote]

Potentially…is the stick larp-safe, perchance?

It’s wood so I wouldn’t use it as a weapon, and would probably break if you hit someone with it in any case, but it’s meant to be more a tribal staff or battle flag type thing. I think KAOS in Christchurch used to carry it into battles. It’s about 186cm long.

Ah, guess not then :frowning: