Introduce yourself

Sorry for the long delay between posts! Thanks, Robza! It’s a handle that’s served me well in the past, so I’m rather attached to it.

I look foward to seeing you there, Anna! Do you know which role you will be playing as? I’ve been panicking a bit because I sent the GM a sign-up form last month and have yet to receive a reply. Does that mean that there are already enough players or…?

Won’t be at BH…but am looking forward to meeting new pep’s as always.

The fact you don’t have your character yet doesn’t mean you missed out. If you missed out 98% of the time you’ll receive an email saying so. Don’t worry your self just yet and besides there’s hopefuly enough larps coming up that even if you do miss out you’ll get to go to something before we hit that 2-3 week dead spot (pretty much the only one we have in the year) over xmas/new years.

Hi everyone, I’ll do casting for Black Hart over the next night or three. Nobody has missed out, the game isn’t full yet.

Feel free to invite more friends along!

That’s certainly a relief! Thanks for the clarification.

I do have some rather bad news - I broke my wrist yesterday at a dance rehearsal and will almost certainly be in a cast on the day of the LARP. The cast I have at the moment is on my dominant arm up to my bicep. This may make LARPing somewhat difficult. I’m still keen(!) but parentals and practicality may be problematic.

LARPing injured is totaly do-able, I’ve seen it done with broken ankles, broken legs, broken arms and broken toes…the list goes on… just make sure the GM is aware and they’ll try to give you a less “action man” character.

[quote=“Crowbolt”]That’s certainly a relief! Thanks for the clarification.

I do have some rather bad news - I broke my wrist yesterday at a dance rehearsal and will almost certainly be in a cast on the day of the LARP. The cast I have at the moment is on my dominant arm up to my bicep. This may make LARPing somewhat difficult. I’m still keen(!) but parentals and practicality may be problematic.[/quote]

That’s bad news, sorry to hear it. I’ll put you in a non-combat role then.

Thanks! Although my cast is heavy enough to be its own weapon. Slightly problematic given it would hurt me too, but…

Hello.

I’m new on the forum. I participated in the Black Hart LARP over the weekend (as Lyonesse of Cornwall). I am looking forward to the next one-off LARP I can go to. One day I would like to be in a campaign but I have work commitments at the moment.

Can someone please post a link to the NZLARPS Facebook page? I found one but it only had 5 likes so I didn’t think that was it…

Thanks.

Here you go: https://www.facebook.com/groups/5598024429/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hi there! I believe we interacted on more than one occassion - I played Argante (blue dress with a sword).

Thank you!

And yes, I remember you, Crowbolt.

Oh! Hi Lyonesse! Hi Argante! Nice to see you here! :slight_smile: (Says the Lady of the Lake!)

Mother! How good to… see you? Read you? What term are they using these days?

fhfh

Welcome Navish,

Just have a poke around Diatribe to check out all of the games on offer. There is plenty happening! Even if it’s the Sunday weapons practice sessions!

Hi all, my name is Jeff and I live on the North Shore in Auckland. Count me as new to the Larp scene although many years ago some of my friends and I used to run some skirmish games. Looking forward to giving it a go and seeing how a more organized event goes. Guessing that sword and sorcery is more my style but I suppose time will tell.

Welcome Jeff, see you around the traps sometime!

I make it up to a few Auckland larps from Hamilton.

Thanks for the welcome. Hamilton is not far away so you never know, you may end up with another player one of these days

Welcome to Diatribe Navish, Aviva and Jeff. Sounds like you’re all interested in fantasy larp in Auckland, in which case there’s heaps on offer at the moment and more on its way.

The big fantasy campaign right now is Teonn, which has a couple of weekend-long games left to run before it wraps up. The next weekend game is in May, that’s what I’d recommend checking out.

There is also Sabbat which is due to start this year and will be a series of day-long games, and The Crucible which is a new fantasy campaign that’ll start in 2014 and run for full weekends, and the organisers intend for that one to be huge. Campaign events in Auckland have gone from having around 30 people ten years ago, to about 160 these days, and I’m guessing it’s going to grow into hundreds of people at events in the next few years. Which probably means moving towards tenting at events (like is common at big overseas larps), because it’s hard to find venues that can accommodate hundreds of people, even in the bunk rooms that are commonly used at the moment. So, you’re joining in at an exciting time.

Besides fantasy, I’d recommend trying out some other styles of larp to see what you like. There’s a series called Friday Night Larps starting up soon that’ll be a great introduction to larping with each game being a different genre & style, and in August there is the larp convention Chimera which has around 30 different larps across the weekend and a big 160 person larp on the Saturday night, so it’s possible to try heaps of games at once and get to know folks between games.

You’ll find there’s a massive friendly community of larpers in Auckland that often become friends outside of gaming. We also have the New Zealand Live Action Role Playing Society (NZLARPS) which is a cool organisation that helps games financially and with gear and promotes larping (and joining up will save you money on event fees), and a fair amount of larp stuff gets posted to the society’s group on Facebook if you wanna join up: facebook.com/groups/5598024429

EDIT: also, if you’re looking to buy fantasy larp gear check out my site at www.paddywhack.co.nz