Introduce yourself

Hey Zanni, cool to hear from you again. Reckon you’ll find lots of familiar faces at Teonn.

Welcome back Zanni :slight_smile:

Hi Zanni, it’s good to hear from you again. Yes, it’s a flattering picture. (I had a moment of “Our Zanni’s all grown up!”) :wink:

Welcome back zanni…now where are my firefly dvds? :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome back Zanni :slight_smile:

Greetings, people of Diatribe!

I recently rediscovered my love of high fantasy and, for reasons unknown, decided to find some info about LARPing in New Zealand. I have not done any LARPing before, although I have been an amateur stage actor since a very young age and have done quite a lot of airsofting (essentially LARPing with guns). Anyhow, my search led me here, whereupon I decided to join up and further investigate LARPing and whether or not it really is for me.

Although I have yet to make that decision, and will no doubt be lurking far more than actually posting (being but a poor high school student, I tend to investigate potential hobbies thoroughly), I decided that I may as well introduce myself anyway - especially since you all seem to be a rather friendly and accepting lot.

Hi Michael, welcome to Diatribe! We’d really love to have you along to one of our events to help you make up your mind about larping - I can relate to (once) being a poor high school student nervously eyeing up larp, when I first got into larping I had to choose between larp and Magic the Gathering because I could only afford one of the two hobbies! We’re pretty keen to help newbies out though, so if an event catches your eye, the community is pretty good at helping you out with costume or anything like that.

Definitely consider signing up for the May game of Teonn (teonn.nzlarps.org or the forum on Diatribe) as crew - it’ll be something like $40 which will include all your food, accommodation and costuming for the weekend, and you’ll be in the care of some sterling Game Masters and fellow crew :slight_smile: It’s possibly one of the most affordable ways to try out high fantasy larping.

Otherwise, keep an eye out for one-off events, which cost between $10-$20 a pop for an evening’s fun, and come in a variety of genres. Don’t be shy about asking questions, and don’t ever let not having a costume stop you, someone’ll have something they can lend :slight_smile:

Anyhow, welcome.

Thanks for the welcome and the info, Anna. I’ll definitely have a closer look at Teonn. :slight_smile:

There is also a teonn day game coming up…crewing for these such things are very cheap (if not free)

Okay, I might look at that too. :slight_smile:

Hey!

I’m Nik, and I’ve been larping for about a year and a half, so you’ve probably seen me about the place. (Well, if you live in Wellington). I don’t post much, really, but thought I’d introduce myself before popping up and then disapearing again.

Hey Nik, welcome to Diatribe!

I think I might’ve briefly met you at Kapcon - were you in Sophie’s “Kin is Less Than Kind” game as Blair? If so, I was Gwen, whom you blackmailed extensively :slight_smile: Good fun :smiley:

I notice from your other post, and your signature, that you’re a Lovecraft fan - awesome :smiley: Next time I’m larping down Wellington-ways, I’d love to talk about things Lovecraftian.

I’m Wayne from Auckland, and just signed up on the forums.

For those of you who were at Auckgeddon, you may remember me - I was doing the photography with the Star Wars guys across the aisle from your stand. To those of you I did get the chance to talk with, it was great to meet you guys and gals and I’m glad to have finally made my way here - been busier than I would have liked the last few months, so it’s taken me until now to find you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: Looking forward to making it along to some of your events for a chance to meet and get to know you all. :smiley:

Hello and welcome aboard! Those Star Wars guys looked awesome, bet you’ve got some amazing photos :smiley:

[quote=“montee916”]I’m Wayne from Auckland, and just signed up on the forums.

For those of you who were at Auckgeddon, you may remember me - I was doing the photography with the Star Wars guys across the aisle from your stand. To those of you I did get the chance to talk with, it was great to meet you guys and gals and I’m glad to have finally made my way here - been busier than I would have liked the last few months, so it’s taken me until now to find you guys. :stuck_out_tongue: Looking forward to making it along to some of your events for a chance to meet and get to know you all. :smiley:[/quote]

Welcome to Diatribe, looking forward to seeing you at some of our events. :slight_smile:

Welcome to all the new peoples! Quite a few of recent times!

Hey folks,

My name is Arron and I have NO Larp experiance at all! I watched a doco on Sky tv’s BBC Knowledge channel the other night and it delt with the NZ Larp scene based around Mordavia and this peaked my interest. I found this site today when surfing around trying to see what its all about etc and so decided to join up and see where it takes me.

Hey Aaron! Welcome :smiley:

You can see what events are coming up by visiting the calendar New Zealand LARPing and Events Calendar and by reading through the forums.

If a game tickles your fancy get in touch with the organisers to see if it’s a suitable game/or if they have suitable parts for a first-timer and you’ll be off and running.

Most people have extra costuming/equipment that they’re happy to lend to new players for a game - so don’t let lack of costume stop you from participating. :slight_smile:

Hey Arron, welcome to Diatribe and the NZ larp community. Cool to hear that documentary got you interested.

Mordavia finished a few years back, but it’s been succeeded by other big fantasy larps here in Auckland, the latest being Teonn. There are a couple of weekend events for Teonn each year, plus some games that last a few hours sprinkled through the year.

And there are lots of games in other genres - horror, steampunk, Victorian, etc. Some weekend-long, some taking one day or just an evening. And a big larp convention called Chimera in August with lots of different types of game to try.

There are at least a couple of hundred larpers in town these days I reckon, and you’ll find people are very welcoming to new players. Any idea what kind of games might interest you?

Hi Arron, I wish you’d signed up a day earlier. You missed an awesome game last night.

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

Welcome to diatribe!