Game submissions: Medusa 2015

We’re going to need new (and reruns) awesome games for Medusa 2015.
What are the basic criteria for games?

• Characters must be pre-written by the game writer (i.e. players do not create own characters), and mechanics must be reasonably simple.
  • The game must take no more than 3 hours to run, including set up time, briefings, debriefings and pack down. You are realistically looking at only 2.5 hours of actual play time. PLEASE pay attention to this one.
  • One-off games heavily preferred, campaign games are invitational only. Campaign games may not include player characters from their normal campaign, and must not require any previous knowledge of the setting.
  • Your game must be able to function with only 80% of player spaces filled.
  • Your game must have at least 6 characters, and no more than 20.

My game needs to run at a specific time, and needs 2 buildings and a helicopter!
We will do our best to schedule your game at a time most optimal to its success, but we need you to be flexible with us as well - not everybody can run on Friday night! Scheduling is determined by a lot of factors, and the chief aim of the schedule juggling act is to make sure that each round has enough player spaces to meet expected demanded, each round has a suitable variety of genres and styles, and that each round has enough playing spaces to accommodate all the games. It’s not half-tricky to get it to work, so it helps if there is no fixed time that your game must run. The same applies for where you would like to run your game - while we will endeavour to give you the location that best fits your game, flexibility is helpful.

How many characters can my game have?
But because this is the first Medusa, aim for between 6 and 20 players.
How many games will you need? How do you pick which games to run?
How many games we need depends on how many characters the games have. We will probably be needing at least 2-3 games per round, so somewhere between 7-9 games for the convention. We try to fit in all the games we are offered but we may have concerns. New GM’s should try to work with a more experienced GM to make sure a high quality game is produced.

How many games can I run?
It’s actually a fair amount of work to write a game for Medusa and we try to spread the workload across more people rather than less, so you may run, at most, two games.

What sort of help can Medusa give me with my game?
We want to make the game running process as easy for you as possible. From early this year, the Medusa team will be in touch and available to support you through the process. We will help you source gear, help you liaise with players and be on hand to help pull things together when things go pear shaped. There is a fair amount of backstage chat between the GMs in the months leading up to the convention, so there is a good sense of community with the other game masters and the organisers. While we do our best to get you the gear you require, being realistic is really helpful as well - try to use what we already have in the Auckland or Hamilton gear shed’s, and if you require something truly esoteric, we may not be able to help.

For whatever reason, I am not able to write a new game but would like to run something at Medusa. Can I do this?
Not a worry. Any game that has been made available to run, or you have acquired permission from the original writers, can be run at Medusa.
How do I submit a game?

To formally submit a game, please email the following details through to medusa.larpconvention@gmail.com, and we will be in touch to discuss:

Public Information
Title:
Authors:
Blurb: (to interest potential players, so no spoilers)
Cast List: (if available, otherwise character numbers and gender ratio. Please indicate what the minimum number for the game to run is.)
Costuming Requirements:
GM Contact Info: (to go on the website)

For the Organisers
Are there any timing restrictions on your game?
What level of roleplayers is your game pitched at? How many brand new people is your game able to handle?
Will there be any difficult gear requirements?
What sort of playing space will you need? [We have 3 indoor spaces (main hall and 2 small side halls) and several outdoor locations available.]
I have a question you haven’t answered here. I’m happy to answer it

(Stolen and modified from Chimera - thanks Anna)
LARPer in H-town, Regional Director nzlarps Hamilton

If you are a GM lacking inspiration, or someone wanting to try your hand at GMing, I have a pile of prewritten games. Most are from here:

wiki.rpg.net/index.php/LARP_Scenarios

But I have a couple of others as well. I can also make recommendations given a desired size and gender ratio, base don what I know works and what has run (and hasn’t run) before).

I have the files for a Spirited Away larp by Kirsten Hageleit & Aaron Vanek if anyone was interested to run that.