Crosspire

Hello folks of Crosspire.

As mentioned previously, all of the townies currently come from and live in Crosspire. A trading hub town a few days away from the Arc, the Twin Pines Agricultural Camp and the Free State Militia compound. It is nominally part of the Free State Militia Protectorate.

The town has a clinic, a smithy, a trading post, a bar and a diner. There are a few farms that surround the town which are all communally farmed, and the food is partially used to complete their side of the bargain with the FSM.

Crosspire is a pretty welcoming place. As long as you behave. And have chips or trade. And don’t stay too long.

Re: Clinic - is there a PC (or NPC) Dr in town, or someone I might talk to regarding medicines?

There is a PC, being played by Nick Adams who is a doctor.

I’d floated the idea with Sophie of playing the “mayor” (for want of a better word). Firstly, are the other townies fine with this; and secondly, how do you want governance to work?

It’s fine with me. I run the smithy (DIBS!). I think the mayorship should probably be conferred the way it is in small towns, with people being voted in for a certain term, but the same guy tends to win most of the time due to inertia/power/money/influence gathered during his extended time in office.

Alternately we could have it that you’re from the richest family around and are mayor by virtue of your family effectively owning the place. Either way I don’t think your council should be elected. It should probably just be a circle of older people who are kind of accepted as leading figures around town.

Important question. Is there a bartender?

Id, I’m happy with that. Doc is a mediator/negotiator for the town and helps external’s with mediating their conflicts. Suspect we’ve worked closely together over the years. His family has been in Crosspire for generations, and is pretty well established so if there’s any historic ties we can certainly play with those.

In terms of governance, agree with previously expressed sentiment - small number of candidates and once in power, the same candidate tends to keep winning and winning. At least until he does something broadly unpalatable. I.e there’s no active political opposition since everyone’s too busy just trying to survive.

In terms of Crosspire itself, would there be limited power - either from a generator, solar/wind power. While the Townies aren’t exactly Technical geniuses, would there be enough wanderers and people out of the arc that expertise and bits and pieces flow through?
Just thinking in terms of limited technical odds and bobs like walkie-talkies powered off rechargeable batteries, or are we talking crank radio’s?

Confused…

I got the impression that the closest ARC was a good month away walking… any clarification?

i think as a crossroads we can justify having a mismash of tech around town.

My chars only been in town for a year and a half. She purchased the Smithy with tech and has basically spent the last year or so keeping her head down, being useful and trying to properly integrate into the town. If the attitude is “outsiders are fine so long as they don’t stay long” then I think it would be neat if the dislike of her overstaying was beginning to die down around the time the game starts, but could flare up again if she makes a wrong move.

But this town is within the embrace of the Militia correct, with all the “protection” that that entails.

If we’re a useful trading hub and pay dues properly they might mostly leave us alone and just show up every now and then to intimidate the population and make themselves feel important.

Not yet, no

They show up slightly more often than that. Once every few months to get their dues, recruit… and throw their weight around.

Not yet, no[/quote]

i propose to put myself forward for that as it goes semi hand in hand with half my services :wink:

I think Ant’s was asking because he was going for the role.

You are going to be run off your feet, between all those areas and roles, busy girl lol

I don’t think you being a Bartender, Medic & … working girl, would go hand in hand.

I like the idea of ant’s being an alchy bartender. hehe

Not yet, no[/quote]

i propose to put myself forward for that as it goes semi hand in hand with half my services :wink:[/quote]

Yeah sorry Daena, Ant’s is going to be the bartender.

So we have a bar and smithy. I assume that although we are a cross roads it’s a pretty small town. Would the bar just have a few rooms for guests and staff? are we big enough to justify have a healing hut or something similar as a separate facility? Or do we have one large building into which we cram things like the medics, the bar and a council room.

It would make sense from a protection point of view to have all of our houses and facilities together in one big warren like thing as opposed to all spread out. Also it would mean that having all of these things in the same building we are holding the larp would make more sense.

[quote=“Oltanya”]So we have a bar and smithy. I assume that although we are a cross roads it’s a pretty small town. Would the bar just have a few rooms for guests and staff? are we big enough to justify have a healing hut or something similar as a separate facility? Or do we have one large building into which we cram things like the medics, the bar and a council room.

It would make sense from a protection point of view to have all of our houses and facilities together in one big warren like thing as opposed to all spread out. Also it would mean that having all of these things in the same building we are holding the larp would make more sense.[/quote]

I’m picturing that the bulk of the town’s buildings are lumped around a town commons, with farmland and residential space further out in a radiating pattern. In this sort of world, I’d imagine most business owners would sleep in their business. I know Doc will certainly be sleeping in the Surgery. This means the bulk of the town would be a series of individual buildings or temporary stalls around the common area. It’s a pretty simplistic model, but it sort of holds up historically with pre-vertical construction era towns.

Physical set up wise, unsure how Sophie wants to do it, but the hall (according to the brochures online) is rectangular, with a raised stage - and two sheltered wings. Provided the wings aren’t cluttered with equipment, they’d be good alcoves for either OOC areas for crew, bags, or GM organisational space, or if in game, as offices (mayoral, etc), or businesses where there would be less loitering (Surgery, Smithy, etc). Imagine the bar and/or brothel would be closer to the larger common area to avoid patron spillover issues. Certainly something to think about over on the Set Dressing thread. There’s plenty of chairs and some tables according to the brochure, so if wanderers are selling their wares, a table set up would help distinguish between them and townies with established businesses.

We’ve used the hall for LARPS several times before, so I’m sure Sophie has ideas around this, but for your benefit, we’ll likely be using the kitchen as an actual kitchen, and may use the kitchen’s serving area as a bar as well.

In the main hall we’ll be setting up marquees to represent separate buildings or market stalls.

One wing of the stage is usable, but is small and dark and in the past has been used primarily as a jail. The other wing is not usable.