Automated membership emails

Do we have the text of the automated emails (if any) the nzlarps website sends when you apply for membership, or are verified as a member?

I’ve had a member decide not to renew because they had no contact from the society after joining. There’s obviously been a clash of expectations (and they were quite aware of Diatribe and of the Wellington Googlegroup), but it might be useful to tweak those automated messages to make it clear that NZLARPS does most of its business over Diatribe, and that we expect members to find games to play in (and get their membership discounts for) by paying attention here.

When someone applies to join or renew, an automated email is sent to the national Secretary and Treasurer to let them know.

I don’t think we send an automated email to the member when they join or renew their membership, or when their membership is marked as verified.

Would you like the site to send an automated email to the members when their membership is verified? What would you like it to say?

Note that there is an email automatically sent to members from secretary@nzlarps.org when their membership expires. Notification emails are also sent to the Secretary and Treasurer. This doesn’t necessarily occur the day they expire, it will be sent the next time someone visits the NZLARPS website. The email to the expired member looks like this:

[quote]Dear Ryan,

Thank you for your continued support of NZLARPS. Your membership to nzLARPS expired on 2013-10-01.

Being a member of NZLARPS has many benefits. The discounts in particular add up very quickly; you’ll make your membership fee back within a few games and then start making savings.

Benefits:

• Discounts on larps
  • 20% discount on Paddywhack products
  • Access to members-only events
  • News about upcoming events
  • Voting each year for a new society committee
  • If you want to run larps, we’ll fund and help you

Membership is only $20, or $15 for full-time students and community services card holders. Memberships last for a year from the date of joining.

If you would like to rejoin please make payment to:

Account name: NZLARPS
Account: 02-0290-0086913-01
Bank: BNZ 262 Queen St
Reference: your name (Surname, initial).
Particulars: Membership

Please also update your details in the NZLARPS database nzlarps.org/database.php and click the ‘Renew my membership’ button so that we’ll be notified of your payment.

Thank you for supporting larp in New Zealand.

Ellen Boucher
National Secretary, NZLARPS[/quote]

Do we want to change the signoff to your name, or remove the name?

In the past it had been requested that the site send an automated email to members when they are due to expire soon. I don’t think I ever implemented this, but I could do so.

[quote=“Ryan Paddy”]When someone applies to join or renew, an automated email is sent to the national Secretary and Treasurer to let them know.

I don’t think we send an automated email to the member when they join or renew their membership, or when their membership is marked as verified.

Would you like the site to send an automated email to the members when their membership is verified? What would you like it to say?[/quote]

Yes. I’ll work up some text next week, but basicly pointing them at Diatribe and/or the Wellington mailign list, suggesting they keep an eye there for games.

Switch it to my name for the moment please.

That might help, but ATM I’m doing this by hand, which also lets me check whether people have provided the statutory address information.

Switch it to my name for the moment please.[/quote]

Sure, done.

How do these look?

On joining / applying:

[quote]Dear NAME

Thank you for applying to join NZLARPS.

Membership is only $20, or $15 for full-time students and community services card holders. Memberships last for a year from the date of joining. If you have not already paid, please make payment to:

Account name: NZLARPS
Account: 02-0290-0086913-01
Bank: BNZ 262 Queen St
Reference: your name (Surname, initial).
Particulars: Membership

Payments are checked weekly. When your payment is confirmed, your membership status will be marked as "Verified’. If this has not happened within a month, please contact secretary@nzlarps.org with your payment details so it can be chased up.

Malcolm Harbrow
NZLARPS National Secretary[/quote]

On verification:

[quote]Dear NAME

Thak you for joining NZLARPS.

As a member you will receive discounted entry to games, a 20% discount on Paddywhack products, and you will be able to vote each year in NZLARPS’ internal elections. We will also provide funding and support if you wish to run a game.

We recommend that you join the Diatribe online forums (google.com/calendar/embed?s … ssionid=OK).

Malcolm Harbrow
NZLARPS National Secretary[/quote]

Those look really good to me :slight_smile:

They look suitable, thanks Idiot.

With the second one, perhaps it should state explicitly that their membership has been verified, so they know why they’re receiving a second similar email?

I can target parts of the email depending on the region they are marked as. So I could just show the Wellington email list to people listed in Wellington. We could also inform them of their membership number, the branch that they belong to, and their membership expiry date when they are verified.

We could link the Paddywhack site too. Surprises me how many members ask if I have a website or if they can only buy at games.

I’ll get on to putting these in soon.

I think we should link to Paddywhack also Ryan, and the whatislarp site and facebook page

I haven’t forgotten about this, I’ll still find time to do it sometime.

I’ve done the automated membership emails for when people join, renew, or are marked as Verified by an admin.

Ah, that explains this morning’s disappearing signup. A test-user?

Correct, I made a test user this morning then deleted it after testing the new emails.

Ah, I had thought it surprising that there seemed to be a whole bunch of people sign up on a Saturday morning…

With the same membership number :slight_smile:

Vanishing user bug has not recured, but I’ll check for it everytime I get a new signup now.

Its just been pointed out to me that these are still saying that you get a 20% discount from Paddywhack. It was reduced to 10% some time ago. Could someone fix them sometime please?